Sunday 5 January 2014

Disappointing Products- Xen Tan Fake Tan


I consider myself a bit of a fake tan guru (if I do say so myself- ha!) I have been fake tanning for around ten years and have tried just about every fake tan out there. My holy grail tan is the St Tropez Mousse in Dark which I use every time without fail, but after reading a number of positive reviews on the Xen Tan I thought I would give it a whirl. 

Originally I purchased the Deep Bronze Luxe (RRP£28.99), and subsequently purchased the Dark Lotion Absolute Luxe (RRP£39.99) which is supposed to be darker. Given I usually use the Dark Mousse in the St Tropez range, I expected the darkest range in the Xen Tan to be a similar colour. Unfortunately it was much, much lighter in colour, similar to the original St Tropez colour. The colour itself was lovely, not at all orange but when you are expecting a deep brown tan it was quite disappointing. I didn't find the colour between the two to be different at all, and one is much more expensive than the other! 

The texture of the tan is a thick creamy texture, which did not have much "guide" colour once you started spreading it on. It was difficult to see if you had smoothed it on evenly, although in saying that, it was not patchy at all the next day although I am not sure if thats down to the texture or because I have been tanning for donkeys years! Additionally, I had to use ALOT of product to cover my limbs, I would say double to even triple the amount I would use of the St Tropez. 

The tan took a long time to dry and felt wet and tacky for hours afterwards- I did not want to sit down (even on a towel) for fear of it rubbing off completely. 

I always put fake tan on at night, all tan smells strange and any type of moisture (sweat, rain) will ruin the tan you have put on. However in the name of reviewing I did follow the instructions for this tan, which says it only needs three hours to develop. I left it four hours before washing off and basically the whole tan came off. So disappointing after all that work! 

The one plus I would say is that it makes a fantastic facial tanner. The perfect colour, smoothes on well and doesn't clog pores. I actually find the body version better for your face than the Xen Tan lotion specific for the face!

If you are a first time tanner or not looking to have a great deal of colour then perhaps Xen Tan is for you, but for the tan addicts out there I would say give this one a miss! Sorry Xen Tan! :( 

xxx 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review! I love my fake tan and this was one I planned on trying next (after Ive used up a couple of bottles at least!) but after reading this I might stick to what I know.


    Jenn | Photo-Jenn-ic

    x

    ReplyDelete